Funky Pumpkin has nominated the Pomegranate as our favourite fruit this week
Pomegranate is super food, with style.
Its magic seeds are full of goodness and antioxidants, with its list of benefits reported to include improving heart and mental health and even fighting cancer. The juice-filled arils from this quirky red fruit can be eaten straight, juiced or used to power up salads, marinades or drinks.
Hailing from Iran to northern India, they’ve been cultivated in the Mediterranean for centuries AND you can get them right here at Funky Pumpkin on Colombo Street.
Power to the humble pommy…here are some tips on ways to enjoy pomegranate power-packed seeds:
- Eat them straight from the fruit (or rinse off the white pith first – up to you)
- If you want to sweeten them up a smidge, dust on some icing sugar or sugar and cinnamon.
- Pomegranate seeds can add some sparkle to any desert – sprinkle on top of cream or ice-cream.
- To juice, simply put them through your blender and strain through cheesecloth (juice warning here – pomegranate juice can stain, so handle with care).
- You can also juice by simply rolling the whole fruit on a hard surface and firmly (but gently) roll. Poke in a straw and away you go